KUALA LUMPUR :
- AirAsia Bhd’s long-haul low-cost unit, AirAsia X Bhd, has added Russia in its route prospects.
- AirAsia group chief executive officer Tan Sri Tony Fernandes said he had met Russian Federation Council chairman Valentina Matvienko at an interactive meeting and business luncheon in Kuala Lumpur.
- In his Twitter account, the aviation tycoon said: “Now meeting Russia Number 2 strong lady. AirAsia X will be flying to Russia soon.”
- On the timeline, Fernandes, in a short text message, replied: “Wait and see.”
- The meeting on Tuesday was organised by Asian Strategy and Leadership Institute (Asli), Russian Embassy in Malaysia and Business Council For Cooperation with Malaysia. Also present were Second International Trade and Industry Datuk Seri Ong Ka Chuan, Asli CEO Tan Sri Dr Michael Yeoh and Business Council for Cooperation with Malaysia chairman Dr Vladimir Sautov.
- AirAsia X seems to be going all out adding new destinations this year, in line with its turnaround plan.
- Earlier this year, AirAsia X CEO Benyamin Ismail was reported as saying the airline was also looking at restoring flights to Tehran given that Iran would offer a huge potential, while adding that London and Paris remained under its radar.
- As at 3pm, AirAsia and AirAsia X were the top two most-actively traded stocks on Bursa Malaysia.
- AirAsia rose seven sen to RM1.78 with 44.98 million shares traded and AirAsia X gained half-a-sen to 30 sen with 34.56 million shares transacted.